- State of New Jersey (1992)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1992)
- State of New York (1993)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2012)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2012)
- Chartered Property Casualty & Underwriting (C.P.C.U.) Designation (1995)
- J.D., cum laude, Seton Hall University, School of Law, 1992
- B.S., Finance, Lehigh University, 1987
Appointments, Positions, Honors, Professional and Civic Associations
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Insurance Law Section member)
- Colts Neck Township Volunteer Fireman (Assistant Chief Engineer, 2001-2012; Chief Engineer, 2004; Secretary, 2003-2010; Treasurer 2011)
- National C.P.C.U. Society
- Central Jersey C.P.C.U. Society
- New York C.P.C.U. Society Chapter, Inc.
- New Jersey Surplus Lines Association (Associate Member Representative and Board of Directors)
- National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices Ltd. (NAPSLO)
- Legislative board member of NAPSLO since 2013
- Colts Neck Township Planning Board (Board Member, 2008-present, Chairman 2013, Vice Chairman 2012)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Lessons Learned From Super Storm Sandy* (2015)
- Ethics in Surplus Lines Insurance** (2015)
- Liability Case Studies for Surplus Lines Insurers**(2014)
- Responsibility of the Surplus Lines Broker—A Practical Guide to the Legal Impact of Super Storm Sandy** (2013)
- Premises and Operations—The Good, The Bad and The Ugly—How You Can Tell The Difference** (2012)
- Investigating and Defending Brain Injury Claims*(2012)
- Recent Developments in New Jersey Liability and Insurance Law**(2010-2012)
- Errors & Omission Prevention for Surplus Lines Agents**(2009)
- Evaluation of Fire Claims and The Arson Defense*(2006)
- Article Contributor to The Insurable Interest (Since 2008)
I've known Joe & staff for many years now. The firm is one of my favorite insurance defense firms that my company uses. Joe is very knowledgeable, trustworthy & professional. Really, they are just great guys & so easy to talk to & work with. I would recommend this firm to anyone looking for insurance defense attorneys, since that is how I know them, but I am sure they do a fabulous job in their other areas of practice as well.Michelle N.
Outstanding! Excellent and professional legal representation.James P.
Joseph M. Powell, Esq., is the managing partner of Powell, Kugelman & Postell, LLC. He has been litigating insurance defense and coverage matters for over 20 years and has been in the insurance industry for over 30 years. Mr. Powell worked as a professional liability underwriter while attending to his legal studies in the evening division of Seton Hall Law School. He holds a Chartered Property Casualty & Underwriting (C.P.C.U.) designation. Prior to obtaining his J.D., Mr. Powell obtained valuable experience in claims investigation and initial risk evaluation and inspection.
Mr. Powell received a Bachelor of Science degree in finance from Lehigh University in 1987, and he graduated cum laude from Seton Hall Law School in 1992. Following graduation from law school, he served as a Law Clerk for The Honorable Edward R. Schwartz in the Civil Division of the Essex County Superior Court.
Mr. Powell was a founding partner of Parsons, Powell & Lane, LLC, where he managed the insurance division of that firm for ten years, from 1997 through 2007. Under Mr. Powell’s leadership as Managing Partner, Parsons, Powell & Lane, LLC, grew steadily over the course of those ten years.
Mr. Powell continues to be active within the insurance industry. He is an associate member of the New Jersey Surplus Lines Association; National C.P.C.U. Society; Central Jersey C.P.C.U. Society; NY Chapter of C.P.C.U. Society National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices, Ltd. (NAPSLO);
He currently serves on the legislative committee for NAPSLO and has done so since 2013 and also serves in the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Insurance Law Section. He held a seat on the Board of The New Jersey Surplus Lines Association from 2003 through 2005. Mr. Powell has also lectured both in the United States and London on topics such as the legal impact of Super Storm Sandy; Insurance Broker Malpractice Prevention; Arson Defense; Defending Brain Injury Claims; and current trends in insurance law.
Mr. Powell is a dedicated public servant and family man. He was a firefighter for over 10 years for the Colts Neck Fire Department and has previously served as Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Chief Engineer and Chief Engineer for Colts Neck Fire Company Number 2. His firefighting background has assisted him in litigating large loss property subrogation matters and residential fire wrongful death actions. He currently serves as a member of the Colts Neck Township Planning Board and has been a Board Member since 2008 where he previously served as Vice Chairman and Chairman.
He previously served as a member of the Colts Neck Architectural Review Committee from 2007 through 2008. Mr. Powell enjoys running and completed the New York City Marathon in 2001; the Dublin Marathon in 2007; and the London Marathon in 2009 (running that race to benefit the British Lung Foundation). When he is not litigating cases or fighting fires, Mr. Powell enjoys his time with his wife, Beth, and their three children.
*Seminars conducted in London for Lloyds and other London based Insurers
**Seminars presented to the New Jersey Surplus Lines Association